Search This Blog

Saturday, June 14, 2014

So What Are You Doing for Dad on Father's Day?

Here are a few ideas:

1) The best -- Offer your Father's Day Mass for Dad. I'll be praying for the repose of the souls of my own dad and my father-in-law, for my dear husband, the father of our five children, for my granfathers and all my great granfathers who passed on the faith, for our two sons, fathers of 10 of our grandchildren, and our three sons-in-law, fathers of 12 of our grandchildren. That's a bunch of godly men fathering our family! Thank you, Lord.

2) Give Dad a symbol of his fatherhood. How about a picture of dad playing with the kids or grandkids. It's the time spent with little ones that is the best gift dads give to their families (after loving God and their wives, of course).

3) Make Dad's favorite dinner. My mom always said, "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach." We all love to eat and don't forget dessert. "Nothin' says lovin' like something from the oven, and homemade says it best!"  I'm making Larry's favorite -- pineapple upside down cake from scratch. Best recipe in the world is from the McCalls Cookbook I bought right after we were married. The back binding is long gone. It's stained and filled with notes and it is the source book for some of our favorite recipes -- especially the foreign foods and the how to use leftovers sections. I learned to make Thanksgiving dinner from that book and still think the stuffing recipe can't be surpassed. Yum!

4) Take Dad on an outing: to play golf or fish or out for a beer or for a swim -- whatever he likes to do. He'll appreciate the fact you want to spend time with him.

5) Give Dad a work day. Wow! I know at our house that would be REALLY appreciated. There is always more to do than time to do it. I was working in the pool area today vacuuming and clipping the overgrowth. It's just a small way to say, "Thanks, honey, for being such a good husband and father."

6) End the day with a family rosary for Dad's intentions. And don't forget the hugs and kisses!

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!


No comments:

Post a Comment